Sunday, August 21, 2011

Band Updates!

Hey guys, so I have a lot of updates on many of the bands I have reviewed.


First of all, I would like to unfortunately announce that the band Living Like Ghosts is breaking up. You can still buy their CDs and merch off of their website (hint hint).



Secondly, the lead singer of Masters of the Universe is getting married (CONGRATS); but because of his new commitment, he will be leaving the band. So I urge anyone who can sing and lives in the Pittsburgh, PA area to contact them on facebook/myspace to try out.



Next, I was fortunate enough to get a copy of The Last Good Year's new live ablum. Needless to say it is awesome, they have gotten much, much better as a whole. Their vocal harmonies are spot on (something that is very apparent from the first song on the album). I also really liked their song selection and order for the album, they obviously have worked hard to improve their sound and their performance. I must say that this may in fact push their overall score to a 9.25/10. So again if you haven't already, read my previous review and CHECK THEM OUT!



Fourthly, Toby Kane's new record is out, entitled The Heart Machine and is available on iTunes. Fittingly enough, 20% of all of his record sales this month will be given to The American Heart Institute- South Dakota. SO BUY HIS ALBUM! Once I finally get around to buying it, I'll let you know what I think.


Fifthly, The Fighting Jamesons are recording and releasing a new album soon, so check them out on facebook for updates!


Finally, a few weeks ago I went to the flood city music festival. Unfortunately, all of the acts I saw were signed so I can't review them. Regardless, I wanted to comment on the development of the festival. I've been going to the "Johnstown folk festival" for nearly ten years now, and needless to say I have been a little disappointed in its development. The festival started as a free festival with countless young budding, unsigned musicians with many local vendors etc etc. Now, the festival is dominated by large acts; and although I do think it is still awesome festival, it has lost its charm. This past year the one and only Gregg Allman headlined the festival, causing them to charge me 20 bucks for admission and really limited the number of acts present at the festival (because it cost them a lot to get Allman there). Because of the limited number of acts, there were only three stages compared to past years where there would be 7+ stages. The committee in charge of the festival most likely upped the price for renting a vendor tent because there were only 7 tents selling foods/drinks/etc. which is a significant downsize compared to its previous glory. I will admit though that the bands that they did have there were really talented and I had a lot of fun listening to some great music. I also managed to shove my way through the crowed to the second row and got to see the one and only Gregg Allman up-close and personal. I will also admit that 20 bucks is quite a steal for a full day of music (35 for the full weekend). Because of the price and the performances, I can't help but recommend this festival to all music fans because it is definitely worth it. However, I can't help but wonder what could have been.

As always, don't forget to like us on facebook (through that link or by clicking like in the top left corner), follow us by email or through blogger (also on the right); and, if you can, please donate! (again on the right) Thanks for reading and keep listening to unsigned bands!

No comments:

Post a Comment