Monday, May 16, 2011

Three Legged Fox

Three Legged Fox is an awesome name for an awesome band. They formed in 2006 when a couple of guys from the University of Delaware got together with one common goal, to make great music. Starting with the self recorded album IDEAS (2007), the band began to gain popularity in the North East playing shows in NYC . Because of this new found popularity, the band decided to record their next album, Not as Far (2009), with producer Chris D'Beneditto, who did an awesome job making sure they were true to their style. They also did an acoustic album called Acoustic Trax 2010 which is actually a pretty cool album. They are currently working on a new album Always Anyway which they are self producing and from what they've told me should be a culmination of their work in a "big, produced, fun album". All of their albums can be purchased here: http://threeleggedfox.bandcamp.com/ (hint hint).


Three Legged Fox has a cool, relaxed sound that leads to what i would call, great summer music. They have a great reggae sound mixed in with some soul and a little alternative rock. This combination makes for some ear candy and is really something great to listen to at the beach or on a road trip.


The lead singer has an awesome soulful voice, similar to that of Brad Nowell of Sublime (which in my opinion is quite a compliment). He is also able to pull off the Rasta voice well too, which is apparent in their song "Jah Light" off of the album Ideas. From their live videos it is also obvious that he is very talented, always on key and brings a certain energy to the stage. The lead guitar player is also very good, I'm not sure I've heard him really throw down on a solo, but I still love his moving lines and his overall clean sound. The Drum player is the man, he keeps perfect time, is obviously having a lot of fun, and puts out some awesome rhythms. And finally, the bass player definitely does his job, keeping everything tight and funky and really gets into it on stage. The overall talent in this band is incredible and more importantly, they come together to make great music.

This band is amazing to listen to live. They keep many of the elements of their recordings but add to it to make a more layered, yet amazingly clean and put together listening experience. From top to bottom everyone stays together, which I think speaks to the ability of the drummer as well as their overall talent. If I can find one fault, it is in their ability to move around on stage and really try to draw the crowd in. They do appear to grove up there, but I still feel like they could do a little more to put on an overall better show. But regardless, I would DEFINITELY go out of my way to see this band perform, and I hope that they come to either the Pittsburgh or Richmond area sometime soon.



As I mentioned before, Three Legged Fox is currently working on a new album Always Anyway which I hope they release in the next year or so. They actually also have three shows coming up that you guys should all check out:

May 21st - Fired Up Field Festival
Kingsville, MD

June 11th - West Pomfret 'Music in the Garden'
Carlisle, PA

August 13th - Musikfest
Bethlehem, PA



Now finally it comes to the grade. Because they make such awesome music, and because they have so much talent, it is hard not to give them a perfect score. However, because they could bring more energy to the stage, I have to dock them a little bit. That being said they are still awesome and are easily a 8.5-9 out of 10. So check them out : http://www.threeleggedfoxlive.com/, http://www.myspace.com/threeleggedfox, and "like" them on facebook http://www.facebook.com/threeleggedfox. You can also find them on youtube. Finally, I just added a donate tab to my page (any amount helps) and don't forget to like us on facebook thanks!

5 comments:

  1. Just downloaded Not as Far. I'll let you know what methinks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey unsigned band searcher guy check out "mostly maybe" from phoenixville pa on reverbnation

    ReplyDelete
  3. GREATTTT BAND. I have seen them twice in concert when they came to Florida and Georiga. Amazing on cd and definately in person. I agree with the summer music. They will be in the cd player for my road trip tomorrow. :-D And they are super awesome guys and really down to earth. I talked to them before and after the 2 concerts I went to and they are regular guys doing what they love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great band. Defining the rock ...reggae hybrid sound...great lyrics

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love this band. I have 2 of their records, & really enjoy listening to them while cleaning, driving, or sitting around outside. I hope to see a concert next time they come to Florida. There is a high probability they will be asked to open on some big tour or get signed.

    ReplyDelete